The Hamilton Gay Men’s Chorus is currently seeking an Accompanist (piano).
- Strong piano skills are needed for this position, as well as the ability to play TTBB choral parts for rehearsals.
- Prospective accompanists should be comfortable playing all genres of music and be able to read music well.
- Good interpersonal skills are needed in order to work well with the Music Director and chorus members.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND WORK HOURS:
- Typical duties will include:
- accompanying weekly rehearsals and performances as needed;
- leading occasional sectional (small group) rehearsals during regular weekly rehearsal times.
- Chorus rehearsals are scheduled once weekly (day to be confirmed) from 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm. An additional evening may be scheduled immediately prior to concerts and events.
- Concerts will be scheduled by the beginning of the season. The season will include:
- one concert in December, a cabaret mid-winter, and one concert in May/June;
- a few smaller events throughout the year (dates and times to be be approved by chorus members and leadership).
- The Accompanist is considered a self-employed individual under contract, not an employee of the Chorus.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of application and a résumé of past accompanist experience by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of Tim Morgan, President. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview, during which remuneration may be discussed and references requested.
Here are a few candid shots from HGMC appearances in June 2015.
If you have any photos of us from Hamilton’s 2015 Pride celebrations that you’d like to share, please let us know.
The following message is from Mike Majcher, our president:
The HGMC welcomes Tania Sheeler back to the role of Music Director. Tania has actually been with this group since the beginning, three years ago, and has always been one of our biggest supporters. This past year she took on the role of Accompanist—and what a fine job she did. But when John-Luke Addison announced that he would be moving on to new musical adventures, the role of Music Director opened up and Tania expressed an interest. It seemed like a natural fit to have her back in the role; even though this group is not exactly the same as when she last directed us, it should still be a fairly easy transition. We look forward to the 2015-2016 season with you at the musical helm, Mrs. Sheeler.
John-Luke Addison has served as our Music Director for the 2014-2015 season, and is now moving on to other musical adventures. The following letter of thanks comes from our president, Mike Majcher:
I want to thank John-Luke for spending these past ten months with the Hamilton Gay Men’s Chorus as our Music Director. It was a year of much change for this group, which provided some extra challenges. However, John-Luke remained patient, understanding and professional throughout. His calm demeanor was important and helpful to us all. The group has grown having experienced his directorial stylings.
We are also thankful for the pieces of music he added to our repertoire that he composed and/or arranged. They were crowd pleasers and very well suited to the occasions where we performed them.
I am glad that we were able to spend some social time with John-Luke as well, to get to know him, and his sense of humour, better.
Thanks, again, John-Luke. I hope we’ll have another opportunity to work together soon. Best of luck with all of your future endeavours.
To find out more about John-Luke and what he’s up to musically, visit his website, www.jladdison.com.
You have two opportunities to hear the HGMC sing during this closing weekend of Hamilton Pride.
On Saturday, we have been invited to sing for the opening of the LGBTQ+ Symposium.
- Where: Crowne Plaza Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre (105 King Street East, Hamilton)
- When: Saturday, June 20th (9:20 am)–NOTE UPDATED TIME!
- Price: Free of charge!
- Details: For more details about the Symposium, visit the event’s Facebook page.
On Sunday, we will be performing at Pride at the Pier, the culmination of Hamilton Pride Week 2015. We will also have an information table on site all afternoon (11:00 am to 6:00 pm); drop by to say hello, and to enter our annual contest.
- Where: Pier 4 Park (64 Leander Drive) on Hamilton’s waterfront
- When: Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 3:00 pm (performance)
- Price: Free of charge!